No Fees Unless We Win
Auto Accident 12.24.2021

Michigan Mini Tort Claims for Vehicle Damage


Michigan is a state that does not have a mass transit system. Due to the long history of the big three automakers being the largest employer in Michigan, the mass transit system has never developed so that the auto industry can sell more cars and trucks. We love our cars in Michigan and have become dependent on our cars for everyday driving. In Michigan, if you lose your vehicle, you can take both a financial hit and lose your mobility. Therefore, we understand how important your right to have your vehicle repaired or replaced are. In order to protect yourself from losing your vehicle, you should buy broad form collision coverage and comprehensive coverage.

Michigan Car Accident Mini Tort Changes

In 2019, Michigan reformed the no fault law. As of July 2020, Michigan’s mini-tort maximum changes from $1,000 to $3,000. In order to qualify for mini tort payment, you must prove the other driver is at fault. If you are partially at fault, your mini tort recovery will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if you are 50% at-fault for the auto collision, you will be able to get 50% of the $3,000 from the other driver based his or her percentage of fault.

Who Pays Vehicle Damage Claims in Michigan?

If your vehicle sustained damage in a car crash, you collect up to a maximum of $3,000 from the driver at-fault for the accident. In most cases, however, $3,000 is not enough to repair or replace your vehicle. So where else do you look to recover damages for your vehicle? You would look at your auto insurance coverages, such as comprehensive or collision insurance, to see if you are entitled to any money for your vehicle damages. You can make a claim with the at fault driver’s auto insurance for your mini tort claim or if no insurance, you can sue the at fault driver. You will need a copy of the police report to show the other driver was at fault.

How Is Comprehensive Coverage Different From Collision Coverage?

If you buy comprehensive coverage for your vehicle, your vehicle is covered for all kinds of causes that may damage your vehicle e.g., fallen tree, vandalism etc. Your collision coverage only pays for damage to your vehicle if an auto accident damages your car. You should not buy PLPD insurance, unless your vehicle is too old, and you don’t care if it gets repaired after an accident. You will need to evaluate the cost-benefit of the collision coverage depending on the age of your vehicle.

If you’ve been in a car accident in Michigan, we are here to help you. Call and speak to an experienced auto accident lawyer today 248-352-2110 or Toll Free at 866-HIRE-JOE. 100% Free Case Evaluation. You have no upfront out of pocket costs.

Share This Story

If you find this information useful, consider sharing this story to your social media channels. Help us make this community a better place.
No Fees Unless We Win
The Joseph Dedvukaj Firm, P.C represents Michigan clients in a full range of personal injury matters. If you have been injured, contact us for a free consultation.
The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute a client relationship.
smartphoneuploadcrossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram