Unfortunately, children are at higher risk of injury at Halloween. Children are twice as likely to be killed in an accident involving a motor vehicle. In the United States, statistics say almost 4,000 Halloween-related injuries occur every year. The following are Halloween safety tips to avoid being injured or killed in an auto accident:
1. Always use sidewalks, walkways and pedestrian paths for your own safety and respect for others property. You may get hurt walking in areas that are not designed or designated for pedestrians.
2. Try to use reflective stickers or tape on costumes to make children visible and safe. You can buy them wherever you buy costumes and sometimes they give them away for free.
3. Remember when crossing the street at corners, use the crosswalk, and obey traffic control devices. You should never jaywalk because it can be dangerous.
4. Be careful when entering and exiting driveways and alleys while driving because children can appear suddenly. You should drive extra slowly because children are excited and conversing with other children and may not be paying attention.
5. Do not use electronic devices in the car because you can easily become a distracted driver. Your text messages and social media posts can wait. Children should put their electronic devices away because multi-tasking as they walk can be a dangerous distraction.
6. Good idea to use face paint and makeup as face costume. Masks can get loose or obstruct a child’s vision.
7. Use flashlights or glow sticks to make the child more visible to drivers.
8. Be aware between 5:30-9:30 is the peak time for trick or treating. You should be especially careful and alert while driving during this time.
9. Always look to your left, right, then left again when entering an intersection or crossing any street.
10. Always remember to make eye contact with vehicle drivers before crossing in front of a vehicle so you know the driver has seen you.
11. Always turn your headlights on early in the day to improve visibility.
12. Do not drink and drive on Halloween. Unfortunately, adult drink more on Halloween.
We hope you and your loved ones have a happy, safe, and healthy Halloween this year. If you have been involved in an accident of any kind, please contact The Joseph Dedvukaj Law Firm and schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. We have a history winning settlements or take the case to trial, if we deem this to be the best course of action for you. Call us today at 248-352-2110 or toll free at 1-866-447-3563 for a free case evaluation with our expert motor vehicle accident lawyers.